What is eLearning?
The “e” in eLearning represents the word ‘electronic’. Therefore eLearning means Electronic Learning – or more correctly; Learning facilitated by electronic delivery. Or, online (on-screen) learning. Great, now that we’ve cleared that up, lets find out what it can do for you.
What are the benefits of eLearning?
eLearning has advantages and disadvantages over traditional face-to-face learning. Some of the advantages may of course be seen as disadvantages depending on the goal of the learning outcome. Lets examine some of these.
Advantages of eLearning versus face-to-face learning
- lower cost per head to deliver
- convenience – the student can (at the discretion of the administrator) learn at their own pace and modules can be delivered anywhere there is a computer/ internet connection
- progress can be automatically tracked and scored and administrators and students can be automatically notified upon successful completion
- courses can be time based to ensure speed and accuracy in a particular module – or left untimed
- other online tools can be integrated such as interactive 3D models, audio and movie clips, voice overs or software walkthroughs and simulations
- detailed reports can be auto-generated and emailed to administrators (and students)
- elearning courses and modules can be sold online
Disadvantages of eLearning versus face-to-face learning
- no face-to-face contact. Some people prefer face-to-face delivery and personal interaction over computer based delivery
- no instructor guidance – though automated ‘hints and tips’ carefully set to trigger when certain errors are performed can usually solve this problem
- lack of people interaction. Though eLearning can allow for other students to be visible online in a chat room scenario
To summarise the above pro’s and con’s we could say that eLearning has the main advantage of convenience, whereas face-to-face learning has people interaction as it’s key selling point. Both have their merits. The main thing to remember is to match the desired learning outcome with the target audience.
That said, with recent advances in technology most things can be achieved online with eLearning regardless of the target audience.
Want to know more?
For a confidential chat about your eLearning needs, contact Metaweb today. Metaweb has the experience to deliver your eLearning needs with many successful developments for Universities and leading Australian organisations like Energex. We offer Moodle development, hosting and ongoing management as well as face to face training for both Moodle and Adobe Captivate anywhere in Australia.